Friday, May 06, 2011

Gluten Free Banana Bread

Needless to say, I am dying without cakes and bread...so in an effort to get the goodness in my belly without all the other stuff that goes with it, I am experimenting and found a good one:

Gluten Free Banana Bread (or muffins)

2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten free of course)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).

* I made mini muffins so I turned the temp on the oven down to 325 and baked till they were golden brown. I don't like nuts in my banana bread so I put some on top for those who like them...so I can tell which is which. Bite size goodness!*0

4 comments:

  1. If I can ever get my hands on some very ripe bananas I will have to try this, but my mother eats every nice ripe banana that comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered a few months ago that I am gluten sensitive. So I will be trying this recipe when/if I ever get to the kitchen. I have been out of the house once since mid September.

    My daughter and grandson also tested positive. It is genetically carried.
    I wish I could have known at a younger age. It becomes celiac disease after years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, I am blessed to find you here. I am finding so many good things to eat that are gluten-free. The hardest thing to eliminate seems to be MSG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, does your flour mix already have Xanthu gum already in the mix? The one I just made doesn't so I want to know if I need to add any.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete